Skip to main content

Posted by Dr Dan Carter

I relayed this information a couple of days ago via our IV chat line, and am including it in our blog to have a more permanent “information location” until this matter is concluded. See our two previous blog posts to get the full story.

There are no warnings on the bags stating “Not for human or animal injection. For simulation practice only.” This bolded quote is taken from Wallcur’s order page for the “Practi-50 mL I.V. Solution Bag (for simulation). The bags themselves do not have this warning.

In another email to me on January 5, our very helpful Florida physician further elucidated what is known:
[Quote] The FDA, CDC and State Health Departments (I think in all 50 states) are involved in notifying Health Care Facilities and Hospitals. I think they have been in the process of doing so since at least 12/30/2014. However, another problem is that they do not seem to have a complete list of providers or facilities that may have received this fluid.

The Florida Department of Health from what I understand has 10-20 facilities on their list that have received this product, however they did not have my facility on their list, so at this point it may be an open question in regards to how many facilities have this product but are not on their State Health Department’s lists to contact. Hence, even more important to disseminate this information, especially as it appears many of these erroneous supplies may have been shipped in between the Holidays and during a time of limited need.

We ordered Normal Saline (not distilled water) and received this product from a distributor called Moore Medical which is a subsidiary of McKesson Medical Supplies.

It would appear that some suppliers, in this case Moore Medical, sent out the Wallcur Practi bags INSTEAD of Normal Saline for Injection. Do not, under any circumstances, use Wallcur Practi-0.9% Sodium Chloride for human or animal infusions. If you have received these bags as a substitution or mis-order from your supplier, contact your supplier with the above information. Contacting your state health department would also be helpful.